Derald E. Brackmann
Dr. Brackmann was raised in a small village in Central Illinois. He completed his undergraduate work at the University of Illinois at Champaign and graduated from the University of Illinois College of Medicine in Chicago. After a year of internship and residency in Chicago, he served in the United States Air Force as a flight surgeon.
After completing military duty, he did his residency in otolaryngology—head and neck surgery at the University of Southern California at Los Angeles. He then completed a fellowship in neurotology at the House Clinic and joined that practice where he spent his entire career in the practice of otology and neurotology.
In addition to his clinical work, Dr. Brackmann has been active in clinical research. His current interests are in management of Neurofibromatosis Type II and the auditory brainstem implant. He is the author or co-author of more than 300 publications and is the editor of 5 textbooks.
He remains clinically active and plans to practice for the foreseeable future.
- Los Angeles
- University of Illinois, Bachelor of Science
- University of Illinois, M.D.
- Illinois Central Hospital at Chicago, IL
- Los Angeles County, University of Southern California
- House Ear Clinic/Institute
- Neurofibromatosis Type II
- Acoustic Neuromas
- American Board of Otolaryngology—Head and Neck Surgery
- Certificate of Added Qualification Neurotology
- American Academy of Otolaryngology/Head & Neck Surgery
- American Otologic Society
- Triologic Society
- American Neurotology Society
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society
His wife Charlotte and he have been married for more than fifty years and have four sons and daughters-in-law and seven grandchildren whom they enjoy greatly.
- Editor of Book, Neurologic Surgery of the Ear and Skull Base, Raven Press, 1982
- Co Editor of Neurotology Book, Mosby Publishing, 1994
- Editor of Otologic Surgery Book, Second Edition, W.B. Saunders, 2001
- Recent Advances in the Treatment of Neurofibromatosis Type II, Briggs JS; Popovic EA; Brackmann DE. Advances in Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, Volume 9, pp:227-245, Mosby Year Book, 1995
- Technical Modification to the Middle Fossa Craniotomy Approach in Removal of Acoustic Neuromas. Brackmann DE; House JR; Hitselberger WE, The American Journal of Otology, Volume 15, Number 5, pp:614-619, Sept. 1994
- Surgery for Glomus Tumors, Brackmann, DE; Arriaga, MA, Otologic Surgery, ed. Brackmann DE; Shelton C; Arriaga MA, W.B. Saunders, pp:579-593, 1994
- Auditory Brainstem Implant: 1. Issues in Surgical Implantation, Brackmann DE; Hitselberger WE; Nelson RA; Moore J; Waring MD; Portillo F; Shannon RV; Telischi FF, Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, Volume 108, Number 6, pp:624-633, June 1993
- Treatment of Acoustic Tumors with Radiotherapy, Brackmann DE; Kwartler JA, Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surgery, Vol 116, pp:161-162, Feb. 1990
- Postauricular Infratemporal Fossa Approach to Tumors Involving the Skull Base, Brackmann DE, Neurosurgery Update 1: Diagnosis, Operative Technique and Neuro-Oncology, ed Wilkins RH; Rengachary SS, McGraw-Hill, Chapter 36, pp:328-333, 1990
- Surgery of Chronic Ear Disease: What We Do and Why We Do It. Sheehy JL and Brackmann DE: Instructional Courses, ed. Johnson JT; Derkay CS; Mandell-Brown MK; Newman RK, Vol 6, pp:349-353, 1993